ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Working with ATMega168 / nRF24AP2 and iPhone ANT+ module

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 0

PM

Hi all,

I have a working sensor nodes with nRF24AP2 as communication module and ATMega168 as MCU, the system is currently running on ANT.
Now I would like to make this device compatible with ANT+ (for the purpose of communication with iphone), how should I "convert" the software and hardware to achieve this?
I appreciate your time and effort to help me.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Just to clarify,

ANT+ consists of a collection of device profiles which ensure interoperability between devices of the same type, while ANT can be thought of as the wireless protocol itself.

The iPhone does not natively support ANT and you must use a dongle.

You do not need ANT+ to communicate with an ANT dongle unless you wish to send/receive data using an ANT+ Device Profile.

No hardware changes are necessary, but all ANT+ device profiles use the same network key and RF channel. The specific channel period, transmission type, etc are specific to each profile.

Cheers      
Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 0

PM

Hi Harrison,

Just came across this thread and it is exactly what I am doing now: Iphone Dev with data from an accelerometer interfaced by a nRF24AP2 chip (that obviously complies with the ANT+ profiles).
1) Which manufacturers of dongles provide any SDK, so that we're able to access the sensor data and develop the app?
2) I know that the Wahoo Fitness dongles does that, but not every sensor that is ANT+ compatible is supported by this API. Do you know if this is true?
3) If so, does this mean that we have to ask Wahoo to make include our own "type" of sensor in their own API, so that we can develop the app? What are other ways to get this communication going through to the app?

Any direction here is appreciated.
Cheers
Edgar Charry