Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Which Visual Studio version with ANT_Windows_Library_Package_v3.1?

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

To develop applications based on ANT_Windows_Library_Package_v3.1 the downloads page says you need Visual Studio Express 2010 C# among other.

But in ANT_Windows_Library_Package_v3.1 there are also C++ code, so shouldn't Visual Studio Express 2010 C++ also be required and listed as a prerequiste on the downloads page?

I have only VS C# Express and opening the ANT_Libraries.sln lists all containing items as "unvailable" in VS2010 C# Express

Ok I am not very familiar with VS so maybe I am doing something wrong. Thanks for any advice you may have.      
Rank

Total Posts: 12

Joined 0

PM

Hi Larsen,

If you open the ANT_NET_Libraries.sln is it then still a problem for you? Otherwise you need them both (VS).

The lower layers are written in C++ so for rebuilding the libraries you need the C++ version as well.

However in the /BIN folder there are the libraries in dll form.

Check also the readme file in the root folder for some more detail about the structure of the projects.

Hope this helps you wink

Best regards,
Antoine      
Rank

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Hello Antoine,
Thank you for your reply. It was a good hint to read the readme - can't say that too often. grin
Yes the ANT_NET_Libraries.sln loads and compiles.

But only to lead to the next obstacle: the DEMO_NET fails with an error in the line:
device0 = new ANT_Device();
$exception {"An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)"} System.Exception {System.BadImageFormatException} 

I did set the platform to x86 in ANT_Managed_Library and in DEMO_NET as suggested in the readme.txt. I am on win7/64b.
I will try and install the C++ version as well.

best regards
Larsen      
Rank

Total Posts: 12

Joined 0

PM

Hi Larsen,

Did installing VS C++ solved your problem?

The error has to do with 32 vs 64 bit libraries.

Just to verify (all from the software prerequisites list):
- Do you have all the needed .NET versions -> 3.5, 4.0
- VC++ 2008 Redistributable Package

With dumpbin (first start the Visual Studio Command Prompt) you can check the files in the /Bin folder:
> dumpbin /headers *.dll
You will see for all files -> 32 bit word machine under the FILE HEADER VALUES.

This is correct as also described in the readme file (at the end of the file under ** Important ** Managed Applications for Windows 64-bit).

Otherwise check the build output for any clues what might be wrong or the debug output about loaded objects.

Hope this will help you further!

Best regards,
Antoine      
Rank

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

Thanks for your advices Antoine,
I recompiled all libraries and demo's in VS2012 (with C++,C# support) and now it works I have no idea what exactly was the cause.
I have taken note of the tips you gave and have that in mind for next time.
Best regards, Larsen      
Rank

Joined 2013-02-01

PM

May I suggest the web site maintainers considers the comment:
But in ANT_Windows_Library_Package_v3.1 there are also C++ code, so shouldn't Visual Studio Express 2010 C++ also be required and listed as a prerequiste on the downloads page?
. For me, - at least I needed VS C++ as well.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2012-08-31

PM

Hi Larsen,

We're going to update the text on the Software Prerequisites list to make it clearer that the readme file is the place to look to find out which software you need for a particular project, and the order that files should be opened etc.

This list isn't intended to replace any readme files or software manuals provided.

Thanks!