ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

continuous scanning mode and reverse data

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2014-05-07

PM

Hi every body,
i have a problem in a simple scenario. A Dynastream 548m4 module is programmed in continuous scanning and send a reply in reverse. An antware act as master in forward direction. Everything works ok and Even with low rate , 0.5 hz, i got the led on module to blink for each broadcast of master.
The problem is that not all reply in reverse are catch ed by antware. Percentage are 60% reverse ok, 30 % antware get reverse At second master broadcast and 10% At third.
In few events even the Tag miss some master broadcast (led off).
Is this An expected behaviour of continuous scannine.
Thanks for replies.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Hi,

How are you measuring your success rate? Are you using ack messages?

Is the device your using for ANTware II also an N5 module?

Do you preload the continuous scan channel response message before each expected broadcast?

Are you using multiple master broadcast channels from the same device on ANTware II? How many channels? Are all of those channels 0.5Hz?      
Rank

Joined 2014-05-07

PM

Harrison,
thanks for reply.

N5 module, in scanning mode, is waiting for a master (at the moment preloaded but in future can be a random master not preloaded) and as soon as he listen for the master, replies with a reverse braodcast message, no ack.
On the N5 i've a led that blinks for every master message: so when the led blinks (message from master received) N5 sends to master a broadcast but sometimes I don't see the broadcast in antware (the 0,5Hz period is used to better check led and PC monitor but in future should be something about 5 Hz).

Antware II is using a ANTUSB, not tried with N5 module, with only one master channel

In some occasion i see the master sending the broadcast, on Antware II, but the led stays off (1 case in 10 more or less).

Both USB and N5 are steady on my desk.

thanks

M      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

The problem is that not all reply in reverse are catch ed by antware. Percentage are 60% reverse ok, 30 % antware get reverse At second master broadcast and 10% At third.

I'm a little confused by this line, does this mean that each successive broadcast is less likely to have a broadcast be sent back in response after the channel from the ANTUSB is opened? (Assuming there is only 1 ANT USB and 1 N5 module).

Thanks      
Rank

Joined 2014-05-07

PM

Your assumption is correct: 1 USB and 1 N5. Both channel are continuously open.

What you say is correct: the problem is hard, for me , to investigate. Is the N5 that doesn't send the message or the USB that don't receive? The behaviour is random: you can see a burst of 7/8 messages ok, the 1 missing, than 4 ok than 2 missing and so on.

May a second usb on a separate Antware in continuous scanning, or background, can show what's happening.

I think i've two ways to check:
1) using a N5 usb
2) using a second usb as scanner

MP

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Hi,

This appears to be typical RF interference, but you are correct, a good way to check if messages are going over the air is to use a second USB in RX-only continuous scan mode, this will allow you to see the broadcast messages going in both directions. To ensure you may want to try and conduct your testing in an environment away from 2.4GHz interference (Wi-Fi, microwaves, phones, line of sight, etc).      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-09-14

PM

Hi,

Just wondering if you were you able to see any improvement with your application?