Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Using ANT stick with Dynastream AMP 231 under Windows 7

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-04-21

PM

I have about a dozen Dynastream AMP 231 activity monitor pods that I bought around 2007 that use an USB ANT stick (USB1 model, I think), to upload data from the pod to the PC. I last successfully used the pods and stick about 5 years ago under Windows XP. I'm now unable to uploade data from the 231 pod to my Windows 7 PC. The PC recognizes the ANT stick, but the step of uploading data from the pod via the stick isn't working. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can upload data from an AMP 231 pod under Windows 7 using my USB1 ANT stick?

Would using ANTware software tell me anything about the communication problem between the AMP 231 and the ANT stick?

Thanks,

Gary

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 156

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

Gary,

The Dynastream AMP 231 product is no longer supported by Dynastream. For a more up to date list of supported ANT/ANT+ products/software please refer to the ANT+ directory (http://www.thisisant.com/directory/)

If your only option is to continue using this part, my recommendation would be keep running the upload program on a Windows XP machine.

Rank

Joined 2014-04-21

PM

Dear Moderator,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, for security reasons I'll will soon be forced to discontinue my use of the last XP machine I have access to, which is why I wanted to get the AMP 231 to work under Windows 7 or 8.

Does Dynastream or Garmin have a newer, supported device with comparable capabilities to the AMP 231? I need something that will record walking steps, speed, and distance for up to 7 days one on battery that I can use to monitor and store daily walking activity in my research subjects.

Thanks,

Gary

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

Hi Gary,

Any of these ANT+ foot pods will report the data you are looking for:
http://www.thisisant.com/directory/filter/~/66/~/

Most of these products do broadcast the data in real time rather than storing them, so you would need a compatible watch/mobile phone app to receive and store the data.

Rank

Joined 2014-04-21

PM

Thanks for the tip! The Garmin Foot Pod looks like it would work for me. In addition to the Foot Pod, what would I need to upload the data to a Windows 7 PC? Is there an ANT+ USB stick that is compatible with the Foot Pod and with Windows 7?

Thanks,

Gary

Rank

Joined 2014-04-21

PM

PS.

Do I have to use a 2nd device, like a Garmin watch, in order to store the data being collected by the Garmin Foot Pod?

If so, is there any other foot pod that has on-board storage, i.e., a device for which I wouldn't need a separate device for storage?

Thanks,

gary

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

Yes, you do need an ANT+ Watch/App that is certified for the ANT+ SDM profile to receive and store this data.

Try looking through the features of these ANT Activity Monitors: http://www.thisisant.com/directory/filter/~/225/~/ They .do store information for download at a later time, but you will have to verify they measure and store the data you are looking for.

Rank

Joined 2014-04-21

PM

I've read about the ANT+ Activity monitors (VivoFit; ActiGraph), and unfortunately they aren't designed to measure speed.

Gary

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

An ANT+ SDM Footpod paired with an ANT+ Watch or Smartphone App might be the best solution to store data. The SDM device profile, and the footpods that conform to it are designed to broadcast live data for storage/display on a personal device.      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

Gary,

Have a look at the Adidas miCoach SPEED_CELL foot pod:
http://assets1-micoach.adidas.com/multimedia/com/pdf/Speed_Cell_User_Manual.pdf

This ANT+ product also stores a summary of the measured data (Time, Avg Speed, Maximum Speed, Distance, High-Intensity distance, Number of Sprints).