Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Query for Capabilities

Rank

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2014-01-13

PM

The Ant protocol guide makes numerous references to querying for the Ant chips capabilities (0x54), and lists section 9.5.7.4 as the answer. However, this seems to be the response code - how do I actually issue the query in order to obtain the device's capabilities?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 156

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

The Request Message control message (0x4D) is used to query for the ANT Chips capabilities (found in section 9.5.4.4). The Message ID Requested field should be set to 0x54, to request the ANT Chip's Capabilities.

Reference: ANT Message Protocol and Usage Document (http://www.thisisant.com/resources/ant-message-protocol-and-usage/)      
Rank

Joined 2014-01-13

PM

Great, many thanks!

It would be great if the guide mentioned this, perhaps in the 9.5.4.4 section (since this section is referenced from numerous places in the guide)      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

Thanks, we really appreciate your input. We will consider clarifying this section more.      
Rank

Joined 2014-01-13

PM

Message 0x40 is defined in: 9.5.6.1 Channel Response / Event (0x40)

Just double checking here - is this the correct message to query? Im asking since that section mentions nothing about querying - just about response, and those responses seem to be channel specific. Query for device capabilities doesnt seem to be a channel operation, so Im still a little confused.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

My apologies, I accidently typed 0x40 instead of 0x4D, which is the correct message ID for the Request Message control message.

Rank

Joined 2014-01-13

PM

Ah, thanks! So when I query for device capabilities, does it matter what channel ID I send in the RequestMessage 0x4D message, or does Ant have capabilities per channel?      
RankRankRankRank

Joined 2013-01-07

PM

No, ANT does not have different capabilities per channel. The channel number is a relevant parameter when requesting channel specific messages, for example the channel ID, or channel status.      
Rank

Joined 2014-01-13

PM

Thanks.

The max number of channels returned in message 0x54 - is this total across all networks, or per network?      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 296

Joined 0

PM

Totals.
Note: you can liberally assign channels to different networks. So you can assign ALL available channels or "split" them across networks as you like.