Welcome Guest,Register Now

ANT Forum

Welcome guest, please Login or Register

ANT+ USB On-The-Go Dongle

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-04-29

PM

I have an interest in prototyping an ANT+ USB OTG dongle rather than use an existing OTG adapter cable + commercially available USB ANT+ stick (e.g. Suunto Mini Movestick). The target environment would be for use on a USB OTG capable Android phone such as the Samsung GS3.

I've seen the USB reference design from Nordic for the nRF24AP2-USB which should be able adaptable to a USB OTG environment by adding a "sense" pin tied to gnd with a different layout incorporating a micro usb connector. I'm looking for recommendations about using this Nordic part vs. others in the market. I'm new to ANT+ so the pros and cons of the various USB chips would be helpful.

In the interest of time, are there any affordable USB reference designs already built-up and commercially available? I've seen reference to the ANTAP281M4IB module, but if I'm not mistaken this design doesn't have a USB interface. A module of this sort would make the whole prototyping job much easier.

I'm not a EE, so please be gentle if I'm completely off-base here.      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 662

Joined 2012-10-09

PM

The Nordic nRF24AP2-USB is currently the only ANT solution with a USB host interface; this part would also provide a seamless path to interfacing with the ANT Radio Service in Android. The reference design from Nordic would be your best starting point.